Forums » Gorean Knowledge

Gorean Time

• 278 posts
    November 13, 2017 1:34 PM CET

Tal Masters and MIstresses,
    Greetings slaves!

I would like to start a kind of workout about the gorean time.

Recently I had to adjust the programming code for our gorean clock because of the daylight saving time changes. I noticed, the clock was showing strange times. By doing so, I figured out, that the time calculation we use, might be wrong. It's not totally clear... or what do you think?

Let's go through some quotes:

The Gorean day is divided into twenty Ahn, which are numbered consecutively. The tenth Ahn is noon, the twentieth, midnight. Each Ahn consists of forty Ehn, or minutes, and each Ehn of eighty Ihn, or seconds.
    Outlaw of Gor, p. 26

The Gorean day consists of twenty Ahn; the Gorean Ahn, or hour, of forty Ehn, or minutes; the Ehn consists of eighty Ihn, or seconds. An Ihn is slightly less than an Earth second.
    Tribesmen of Gor, p. 352

So far so good. A gorean day has 20 Ahn, compared to our day which has 24 hours. If we say, it's noon, it means 12 o'clock (or 12PM) and midnight means 0:00 or 12AM. While noon and midnight is an exact point of time during the day, if one speaks about the 10th or 20th Ahn, is it meant to be the whole Ahn?

When does it actually begin and when does it end? From my logical understanding, a gorean would say "It is now the tenth Ahn" he means "It is now noon". That's what the quotes say, right?

Similarily a gorean would say at midnight "It is now the twentieth Ahn".

Would then the day begin with the 20th Ahn?

The gorean cave compares the gorean time with earth time like this:

12:00 AM - 1:12 AM  =  1st Ahn
    1:12 AM - 2:24 AM  =  2nd Ahn
    2:24 AM - 3:36 AM  =  3rd Ahn
    3:36 AM - 4:48 AM  =  4th Ahn
    4:48 AM - 6:00 AM  =  5th Ahn
    6:00 AM - 7:12 AM  =  6th Ahn
    7:12 AM - 8:24 AM  =  7th Ahn
    8:24 AM - 9:36 AM  =  8th Ahn
    9:36 AM - 10:48 AM  =  9th Ahn
    10:48 AM - 12:00 PM  =  10th Ahn - Noon
    12:00 PM - 1:12 PM  =  11th Ahn
    1:12 PM - 2:24 PM  =  12th Ahn
    2:24 PM - 3:36 PM  =  13th Ahn
    3:36 PM - 4:48 PM  =  14th Ahn
    4:48 PM - 6:00 PM  =  15th Ahn
    6:00 PM - 7:12 PM  =  16th Ahn
    7:12 PM - 8:24 PM  =  17th Ahn
    8:24 PM - 9:36 PM  =  18th Ahn
    9:36 PM - 10:48 PM  =  19th Ahn
    10:48 PM - 12:00 AM  =  20th Ahn - Midnight

That is, how our current gorean clock work: noon is the point, when the tenth Ahn is fulfilled so to say and midnight, when the twentieth Ahn is complete. That would be correct, if you divide the whole day in twenty pieces, each piece is one Ahn. Then the first piece of the day, the first Ahn, would begin at 0.00 (12AM) and it would end at 1:12AM.

But if a Gorean says "It's now the tenth Ahn" wouldn't he mean "it's now noon" instaed of "it's now 10:48AM"?

What do you think? Does at 10th Ahn begin at noon or end at noon?

adira
    kajira of Alduras

This post was edited by Adira of Alduras at November 15, 2017 10:38 PM CET
    • 278 posts
    November 15, 2017 10:37 PM CET

Well,

after a chat conversation with Master Tarl Dark and some more research, I come to the conclusion, that the 20th Ahn is exact midnight, the 10th Ahn is exact noon.

I have found the following supporting quotes:

'What time is it?' he asked. A fellow, glancing at the sand glass, said, 'A bit past the nineteenth Ahn.'
    Mariners of Gor, p. 73

A bit past... shows, that the 19th Ahn is point of time as it is 12 o'clock. It does not start at some point and lasts one Ahn long. That was the mistake in my thoughts above. However, if we llok at the quote from the Gorean Cave, they also describe a certain period of time rather a point of time. Next quote is even more clear in this:

I heard two of the time bars, far off, across the city, beginning to sound.
    . . .
    I counted the sounding of the bars, stroke by stroke.
    . . .
    I heard the tenth bar sound.
    It was the tenth Ahn.
    Witness of Gor, p. 513

We see, the bars stroke 10 times at the tenth Ahn.

So that means midnight is the 20th Ahn, the first Ahn is accordingly at 1:12AM Earth time. I adjusted our gorean time corresponding.

*respektful greetings*

adira
    kajira of Alduras